Tuesday, December 28, 2010

New Years Resolutions (for Crochet!)

Every year I make resolutions, but somehow they never work out; I still need to loose the same 20 pounds I did last year, and I still need to get organized. I just can't seem to stay motivated past February. Maybe if my resolutions were things I enjoy doing, I would have better luck. So this year, I am going to make some resolutions that will be fun to keep- crochet resolutions! Here is my list:

1: I will crochet for fun a little bit every day. As a professional designer, I spend most of my day with a hook in my hand, but I am always working on the next design. Seldom do I crochet anything that is not going to be a pattern that I will sell, and sometimes I miss just crocheting  for no particular reason. So I will just play around with something fun and relaxing for a little while everyday (and who knows, it could turn into a pattern book!)

2: I will learn some new stitches or techniques. I find myself using the same stitches in my designs over and over because I like them and I am comfortable using them. But I know in order to keep my designs fresh and exciting, I need to add new elements to them. So I will be looking for some new stitches to add to my repertoire. Any suggestions?

3: I will teach someone to crochet, and encourage everyone I can to try thread crochet. I get emails all the time saying "I love your designs, but I only crochet with yarn, not thread," and the most dreaded comment of all- "What you are doing is wonderful; thread crochet is a dying art!" I want the world to wake up and realize that not only is thread crochet NOT dying, it is just as easy as crocheting with yarn (and much more beautiful, in my opinion!)

Well, I think that is enough to start with, I don't want to overwhelm myself. I will let you know how I do on keeping them.
Have you made any crochet resolutions for 2011?

14 comments:

Faith said...

no, not one resolution...I never stick to them, I get tired around
February like you. I do try to move the hook every day. I would like to design something. But, have no clue what or how...does it just flow and figure it out as you go along?

Faith said...

ps,,that doily is beeeeeutiful...

Julie said...

For 2010 I resolved to crochet 4 blanket squares per month for the Knit-a-Square project--I far exceeded that with a total of 105 squares! (plus 3 hats and 2 sweaters). So I think I will resolve to equal that number of squares for 2011, and to keep spreading the news about that charity to others. I also resolve to make something in bead crochet, and to whittle down my queue on Ravelry!

Charlotte said...

What a beautiful doily! Pattern please?? I guess my resolutions are the same as yours especially the weight loss. I seem to have found 10 of the pounds I lost last year :-( Happy New Year and happy crocheting!

Ann said...

The doily is from a book I did for Annie's Attic several years ago called "Enchanting & Elegant
Ladies." You can usually find copies on Ebay.
The designs are done in Cro-tatting which is a combination of crochet and needle tatting. You have to have a special hook to do it, and it is no longer available. I am thinking about redoing the designs in regular crochet; maybe I should add it to my list of designs for 2011.

Angie said...

I love your doily! I also have been dreaming about crochet goals for the new year, including a BellaCrochet doily!

paula said...

My resolution . . hum, I never keep them either.

How about a "want-o-lution." I want to cross stitch small ornaments to be used in Christmas Cards for next year.

Typstatting said...

I just love the doily and I never make New Years resolutions that way no one can come back at you on that!

eliza said...

OLÁ MIGUXA, FELIZ ANO NOVO, PLENO DE REALIZAÇÕES, SAÚDE, PAZ E MUIIIIITO AMOR.BJUS

Eija said...

I like this doily.

lovestitch said...

So beautiful! I love your doily, and the colors, too!
Have a Happy New Year!!!

- said...

Wow, that is a very good start!

Happy New Year!

Ana Luisa said...

The purple doily is so pretty, well done!
I just hope to finish off my crocheted tavlecloth I started over a year ago. LOL::::

Mary said...

That doily is exquisite. I found your blog from Crochet by the Sea which I also just found this morning while searching vintage potholders. I love doilies and thread crochet. Crochet thread is very hard to find in different colors. Why is that? I am currently crocheting the vintage potholders and have just finished two doilies. I am so glad I found this blog. A kindred spirit.